Sunday 19 August 2012

The blogging thing….

In the early days of my blog I wrote a post about why I got into beauty and makeup, what started off as an exercise to sort out my self esteem turned into much more than I could have imagined.

I don’t really know where I am going with this post but reading through bbloggers this evening and the subsequent post from BritishBeautyBlogger, as well as a post earlier in the week from Skinscrubs, has got me thinking about blogging in general.

Starting a blog is one of the best things I ever did, I have had some unforgettable opportunities and the change in my personality is something I never would have expected could be achieved from sitting alone in my room at night on my laptop. Adding my blog to my CV sparked conversations and lines of questioning in interviews that wouldn’t have come up otherwise and even better than that, secured me job offers. I’ve met and made what I consider to be true friends (Skinscrubs, Truly Madly Beauty, Miss Stylicious, Muslimah Beauty and CurvesColourSparkle, I love you guys!).

I’m not going to lie in the early days I was keen, some might label desperate, to get my blog known and share it with everyone I thought might be interested. I included my links on comments that I left on other blogs, which judging from the bbloggers chats is a huge sin (just for the record, I really don’t care if people do that on my blog). However, none of that was for freebies or to be included on PR mailing or guest lists but because I wanted to have interactions with my readers and Twitter followers.

An incident happened that made me close down my blog and all social media accounts for just over a week. In that time I realised just how much my blog meant to me, I missed it. So when I did reactivate it and carry on my attitude had changed slightly.

I’m not going to pretend that seeing that I have a new follower doesn’t make me happy, because it does. I work hard on my posts, I spend a huge amount of time writing and taking pictures for what takes all of 30-60 seconds to read, so if I then gain a follower or two, or better yet, get comments, it can make my day.

I really like being a beauty blogger and I write a blog that I want to look at and want to read. I like that I don’t have the pressure that other, more experienced or “bigger” bloggers, might have when it comes to being the first to let people know about something or even feeling the need to have something up every day. I also realised that it is important to stay true to who you are, I’m never going to be someone who has a lot to say on Twitter, if you ever meet me you will see I am not particularly loud or opinionated so it just wouldn’t suit me to be that way online.

Anyway, having said that I am not particularly opinionated, I guess I wanted to get my two cents worth out there! There is a lot of wise stuff said on bbloggers when it comes to how to think about your blog and once the conversations are said and done, I hope that it is taken on board.

Finally to my readers, I sincerely love you guys! Of course I love my blog, but you make it better.

Share:

9 comments

  1. Glad to have found your blog on Monday Beauties Blog Hop. Glad to be a new subscriber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://goo.gl/XNic7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safira @ Miss Stylicious24 January 2013 at 00:32

    Love this post. I have been thinking of writing a similar post for the last couple of weeks and I think you have helped spur me on.
    The chat does tend to go around the same topics in circles, but it is good if you want to dip in and out, or are a new blogger who wants new tips, just not necessarily relevant for everyone.
    The whole big/small blog, new/experienced blog topic is always coming up as people sometimes feel they don't get noticed, and want to be on the same level as others, but don't realise what work others have put into it to get where they want.
    Ultimately if you put how much time you can spare, because not all of us can do it full time, and do what you enjoy then what more can you ask for?
    And you are right, blogging is great, if you are doing it for the right reasons and for yourself. I didn't realise there was a community out there when I started, but have made some great new friends - including you!
    And I love your blog. Don't be going awol again! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so nice for me to read! I made a blog about 3 months ago to express myself and things that I love! Knowing that you can get somewhere with it has made me not want to give it up and carry on blogging! I'm so happy to have read this! I love your blog :) if you could check out mine that would be good! I need all the help I can get.

    www.lauralouisex.blogspot.co.uk
    X x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course Laura! Glad you liked the post and yes as long as you enjoy it don’t give up! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide whether the same topics are coming up on the chat because new people are joining in or others are desperate for this type of information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Probably a mixture of both, nothing wrong with being repeated I guess. The conversations flow so fast it is easy to miss something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t think the claws came out, well not that I saw anyway, I dip in and out of the conversations these days.
    The same conversations are coming up time and time again, which there is nothing wrong with, but I wonder if that is because people aren’t taking in the good advice the first time round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love you too gorgeous! I missed the chat tonight but from what I've seen here and on British Beauty Blogger the claws came out again?

    This is why sometimes I don't bother with chats, I dont mind if people talk about the same things because you can dip in and out but I get fed up with people having a moan!

    :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig