Monday 11 November 2013

S5 Skincare

I’m back with another week of skincare and kicking it off with bumper review of a selection from the range S5 Skincare.

I recently shared my experience of home skin peels, one of the down sides, particularly if you love testing out new products, is that what you can use while testing is fairly limited. I wanted to test the peels fairly but I also didn't want to use anything that would potentially overload my skin, the most obvious example being other products that contain high concentrations of glycolic and other types of acid.

This is where S5 fit perfectly. Described as certified organic cosmeceuticals, the range has been designed to reverse the signs of problem and ageing skin that is a result of stress, plus it does this in a very gentle way.
The active ingredients in S5 are 100% natural and are sourced from the five most extreme ecosystems on the planet, hence the 5 in the name.

I've already blogged about the Purity Serum, which is great for dealing with breakouts but is the only product I wasn't able to use while doing the since it is primarily salicylic acid.
The Neutralise cleanser is the most gentle I have ever used. While it is not great at removing makeup — I would suggest using this as a second cleanse step or in the mornings — the cleanser does gently clean the skin without leaving it dry or tight. The consistency is very thin, almost like water and so there is no difficulty removing it.

Aimed at normal-oily, sensitive skin it contains bioactives from the arctic to sooth and reduce redness. As the name suggests it is designed to neutralise the skin and therefore contains ingredients that help the skin to deal with temperature fluctuations by improving oxygen consumption.

Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Lauryl Glucoside, Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Lysolecithin, Sclerotium Gum, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Pullulan, Tocopherol, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Tripleurospermum Maritimum Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Anisate, Parfum (Natural, Low Allergen Fragrance), Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Salicylic Acid, Sorbic Acid. 

At £28 it isn’t a cheap cleanser but certainly one worth considering if you need something gentle. 
Personally finding the right moisturiser is a constant struggle but S5’s Balance Fluid is something I will consider repurchasing. Designed for normal-oil, sensitive skin, the consistency is light and absorbs quickly without leaving any form of residue. In the summer my skin tends to be on the normal side so It was ideal when it was first given to me but even with the cold weather now it is still giving me the hydration I need.

Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Coco-Caprylate , Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Glycerin, Mica, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Aqua (Water), Isostearyl Isostearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Epolobium Fleischeri Extract*, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Salicylic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Arachidyl Alcohol , Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Behenyl Alcohol, Cellulose Gum, Tocopherol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Gluconolactone, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Anisate, Parfum (Natural, Low Allergen Fragrance), Titanium Dioxide, Talc, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid.

My only complaint is the packaging. The glass tub is heavy and not great for packing in a makeup bag, but the fluidity of the cream meant that when I was opening the tub I ending up losing product as it poured out. Of course people much more careful than I won't have this problem but may have issues with the hygiene question that comes up with anything you stick your fingers in.

At £39, again this isn’t cheap but it has lasted me over four months with daily use, even with the occasional spillage!
The final product I have been using is the Replenish Serum, which is essentially an oil for dry or scarred skin. The smell of this is the most pleasant but it doesn't linger. I've tried lots of oils in the past and while I wouldn't say this is the best in terms of hydrating and clearing up marks quickly, I liked I can layer all the S5 serums and moisturisers and they will still work and I won't end up with the products reacting to make a congealed mess on my face. Typically I would layer the purity serum under the replenish serum and I never had issues with my skin becoming dry or flaky.

Most of the products can be purchased as sample sizes, which is great for testing out the products before committing to a larger size. In the case of the serums, the sample sizes are actually better value for money than the full size products.

More information on S5 range and the full range can be found on the S5 Skincare website. The products can also be purchased from Selfridges stores.


p.s I was prescribed these products and gifted them after a mini facial, all views expressed are my honest opinion. 
Share:

1 comment

  1. I've never heard of this brand but the oil especially sounds amazing! Great review as always hun xx

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig