Wednesday 31 October 2012

My hamam (Turkish bath) experience

My visit to Istanbul would not have been complete without a Turkish bath experience. Also called a hamam, historically, the baths had a functional (cleansing) role as well as a social role with women in particular using it as a place to escape from daily life.
I visited the Cagaloglu baths, which is listed as one of the 1,000 places to see before you die and boasts a selection of famous visitors over its 300 year history!
Entrance area and men's changing rooms, which looked very similar to the women's section
After selecting an exfoliation and massage experience I made my way to the women’s section, where I was directed into a private cubicle to change. I stripped down, wearing underwear only, and covered myself with a towel and was directed to the hot room (which is slightly cooler than a sauna) and told to relax for 10 minutes before my treatment.

The room was beautiful with marble floors and walls, pillars and beautifully decorated sinks. The lighting was very dim and because of that very flattering. In the middle of the room was a large marble slab, which is where the scrubbing happens!
Obviously I couldn't take photograph while having the bath, but hopefully you get the idea! 
I had expected that the towel we were given would be used to keep key areas covered during the treatment so to see so many women walking around completely nude was a surprise. It was even more of a surprise when my towel was stripped off me and I was splashed with warm water before being told to lie on my back on the marble slab.
The exfoliation was something like this!
Using an exfoliation mitt, I was scrubbed down front and back and directed to feel all the dead skin that had been removed. With my hand held I was walked over the sinks and splashed with water again before being massaged using a soapy water combination. The massage was very gentle and should have been very relaxing; however, not knowing where the hands of my attendant were going to be made me a little uncomfortable as she jumped between body parts!

The final part of the experience was a another splash with water and then a hair wash, which took me back to the days of being a child washed in the bath my mum. I was directed to sit on the floor in front of the attendant as she poured water and soap suds all over my face and I did my best to breath.

Finally a few more splashes of warm water and one of cold and the treatment was finished. At this point I was led to the cool room and my hair and body wrapped in towels. After the treatment you are free to hang around in the baths as long as you wish but I headed out.

Men's experience
Having gone to the baths with a man I couldn't help but ask whether his experience was the same. Men usually completely strip down and wear nothing underneath the bath-wrap but their modesty is maintained throughout the whole treatment. The massage was described to me as "more of a physiotherapy experience" with a lot of being bent around being involved and pressure applied for a deep muscular treatment that also included joints being cracked! Being a dry massage made it even less comfortable. This was then followed by a rinse and exfoliation and finally some chill out time.

We both agreed that although we enjoyed the experience, we wouldn't be rushing back any time soon. That being said, not knowing what to expect made the experience more uncomfortable so if there was a next time I would feel more prepared. Also my skin does feel amazingly smooth now, which I am hoping I can maintain that with my usual exfoliation products.

If you are thinking of heading to a Turkish bath, here are my personal tips:
  • If you aren’t comfortable going completely nude, bring spare underwear or bikini bottoms to wear as they will get soaked,
  • Remove your makeup, I went in with a full face, including a perfect flicked eyeliner I intended to share with you, but of course the treatment means you will come out with a bare face and it would have been better if I had properly cleansed,
  • Bring toiletries, in particular a deodourant and moisturiser,
  • Tip the attendant.
Share:

13 comments

  1. Wow! That is exactly the definition of “pamper yourself.” That is a totally fabulous experience. For one, you were able to visit one of the few places that should be included in anybody’s bucket list. Another thing is that you experienced the sauna in an old-fashioned way. Today, it is rare to see a sauna parlor that offers cleaning from head to toe. Usually, sauna services only include the body and exclude the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! sounds like quite an experience hun! hmm I think I'll stick with a good ol' indian head massage ;) Lol!

    Aysh xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, not something you will look out for in your next spa weekend then? hehe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like quite an experience! I think I'd need to psych myself up before I could no it. I'm not sure how relaxing it would be though - your description of hands going everywhere was disconcerting. Still, I'd love to have the result of such smooth skin afterwards! Thanks for sharing - it was such an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if I had known that was going to happen it would have been better. I guess in the UK we are so used to being told what is going to happen when we have facials etc, but they just get on with it! The attendants are doing it all day, every day that they probably forget that as a tourist you might find it a bit strange! I’m glad you found it an interesting read :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This needs to be on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should! And def let me know if you ever do :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my God, I am not sure I want to have that experience, thanks so much for mentioning the fact you need to bring your bikini! I wouldnt want someone to wash my hair, I find that a bit odd. All in all I think I will try and avoid!!
    The mens sessions sound even worse! LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was very odd, it wasn’t actually a great wash either…no conditioner! haha.
    I think if I had experienced anything like the men’s, I would have left crying! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow this sounds amazing, but like the others I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel walking around in the nude! I'd really love to give this a try though.

    Slightly cheeky, but can I ask how much it roughly cost? Is it a pricey experience?

    Lola xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think if you get a chance to you should. It is a bit strange at first but because everyone else is nude it doesn’t feel at odd…if that makes sense? It didn’t help that I didn’t know what to expect out of the treatment either.

    Not cheeky of you to ask at all! I didn’t include the price because I think it probably varies a lot and that I probably paid much more than you could get it done for because it is one of the more popular and tourist attracting baths. This treatment cost around £40, but you could pay more or less depending on if you just wanted exfoliation or massage or you also wanted to add a soap wash in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like it was a great experience! Not sure how I would feel walking around in my undies though xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. How refreshing to the body to have that kind of bath. I would like to renovate mine like that.
    Air Conditioning Repair

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig