Tuesday 29 January 2013

When is a tree just a tree?

Last week, this was the view out of my window.

This is my view today.
On Thursday morning I was woken by the sound of chainsaws cutting down the big, beautiful tree, that by my estimation was at least 100 years old. The person who ordered this was a family member, so I called and asked why the tree, that for the last 22 years had formed my morning view, was being cut down. The response was ‘that’s life’. Does anyone else think that is ironic?

To add insult to injury, I will have to endure this view for an unspecified period of time since ‘it will cost a fortune to clear’.

I don’t want to go into the who, the what and the why. But I’ve been completely heartbroken, hence the lack of blog posts. It’s hard to write about beauty when you think that the world is so ugly.

I can get over not speaking to that particular family member again, families fall out all the time, but what I can't get over is knowing that, as long as I live, I can't replace what's been so cruelly destroyed. I wish that there was something I could do, turn the trunk into a bench perhaps, so that at least, in some way, the tree could still be enjoyed.

I hope that I am not the only one that thinks this incident is completely tragic?So I'm hoping that if you are never usually one for commenting or sharing my posts that you will do so with this one, I need my faith in humanity restored.
Share:

10 comments

  1. I'm surprised a tree like that doesn't have a preservation order to stop it being cutting down. It is a real shame it has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, the first picture looks beautiful. I can't believe they cut such a beautiful tree but it does happen, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True beauty is totally lost!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. True beauty is totally lost!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's terrible hun *hugs* such a shame when someone can be both thoughtless and heartless. To leave a mess just adds insult to injury. There are good people out there so surround yourself with them and leave behind the one who drags you down x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awful! Do the council know? I can't imagine a 100 year old tree would be allowed to be chopped down like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awful! Do the council know? I can't imagine 100 year old tree would be allowed to be chopped down like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This tree was about 157 years old and 20 meters high ( I measured it today). Love Peray

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading your email and seeing this post makes me want to give you a BIG BIG HUG! =( Being that I am half way across the world right now, that is impossible...but I can send you a virtual big squeeze and send you lots and lots of love cosmically! Im so sorry about what happened Aysh...it's so symbollic. I think saving some of the wood and getting someone to make something out of it would be a great idea! maybe even make a wooden ring, or pendant or something... wooden pieces of jewellery etc are gorgeous! (And what a nice blog post i would make also hint hint!) =) Chin up darling... plant another tree somewhere else in the garden...or a sunflower.... love you! will reply to your email soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is even worse than cutting it down is the fact that the bits of tree will stay there till they are taken away! I would be crushed too, when you live in a city you need some greenery around and I bet that tree was home to a few animals too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig