Sunday 6 January 2013

First impression: Philosophy Purity made simple cleanser

Philosophy is a brand that has always appealed to me. Its clean looking, cutely named products and the bite-sized philosophical thought found on each container has always made me think fondly of the brand, even though up until now I had never tried them.

When my Latest in Beauty advent calendar revealed a small bottle of Purity made simple cleanser I had a little ‘ooo’ moment.
The cleanser is very effective, it has a milky formulation and is gentle enough to use on the eyes, with only a small amount needed to remove a full face of makeup. I found it left my skin feeling very slightly dry, but I didn't develop any dry patches using it. I preferred to use it with my clarisonic, rather than a cloth as suggested, and it is one of the few cleansers that I have found which works well with it.

However, there is just one thing that doesn’t make me want to purchase a full sized bottle, and that’s the scent. For something called purity the last scent I would expect is ethanol, but that’s whats I get.

Now I realise that the brand does not consider itself natural/pure (the ingredients list for this product takes up half of the bottle!) Personally, I think it is a bonus if a brand is natural but I am not particular about that. I think in this case there is a mismatch in expectations, I thought something with the name purity would have a fresh scent but the smell of alcohol is too much.

So this post will stay as a first impression because I although I would still like to try some other products from the Philosophy range — the exfoliator in particular — I won’t be picking up a bottle of this.

Philosophy can be purchased from QVC, Selfridges, Debenhams and Boots. I also found a handy skin quiz on their US website, which interestingly for my responses didn’t actually recommend this cleanser!

Have you tried any of the Philosophy range, if so I would love to know what you recommend.
Share:

8 comments

  1. I liked their microdermabrasion cleanser but totally forgot the name of it, I used to use the "Hope in a Jar" but that stuff smells rancid to me also. their shower gels and lip glosses are really nice though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think I would ever pay for their shower gels…..I do love the names of them though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to use this cleaner all the time but have moved on to others. I still love Philosophy products but I find the range of products has changed over the years or some of the products I like are only sold in the US. Try their exfoliators as they are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn’t realise that they only sold some products in the US! Their exfoliator and the dermalogica one are on my ’to try’ list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a big fan of this cleanser for about 5 years, but then I started having a reaction to it. Is that even possible? But I still remember how nice it was to use this all in one cleanser!
    www.sonandstar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s strange, but based on Scotts comment above, I wonder if the formulation changed? Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BeautyRedefined By Pang24 January 2013 at 00:27

    I heard so many rave reviews about this cleanser that I ended up buying it but just like you, I was really turned off by the scent. It smelled like glue, plus I feel that it's very drying too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to try something from their range but not got around to getting anyting yet. Interesting what you say about there being so many ingredients, especially if it is called Purity. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig