Friday 2 September 2011

Garnier BB cream review

With all the blog posts in anticipation of the first UK BB cream I was excited to try it out. I have never used a BB cream before, as much as I wanted to order some from Asia I was paranoid about colour matching correctly. The idea of a product that can give a 'my skin but better’ appearance and be good for it appeals to me very much.


What the Garnier version does claim is that it will blur imperfections, even skin-tone, boost glow, smooth lines and provide 24-hour hydration. The cream spreads and blends well on the skin and the tube container means you can control exactly the amount of product you use.



Garnier offers only two shades currently, light and medium. I chose light. Nothing on the box says that the formulation adapts to your skin tone, but having used this tanned and untanned, I have not had a problem and this always looks really natural.


For use on holiday this was perfect, providing a light coverage and evening out skin tone without being too heavy. The formulation is extremely moisturising which was perfect in the heat and it does give your skin a dewy look which I like. Mostly importantly combined with getting overheated and sweaty this didn’t break me out. I can see how someone with oily skin might not like the formulation but you can easily apply powder on top to set it and get rid of some of the shine. 

On a side note, even though this does contain SPF15 I would still apply my SPF25 sunscreen underneath since the you would need to apply at least a tea spoon amount of BB cream to your face to actually get the full sun protection.


Before (no make up)

After

My understanding is that original BB creams are a thicker consistency and more full coverage. The Garnier cream is not full coverage but covered most imperfections and I used my Witch concealer stick for anything remaining. I don’t think the picture show well the coverage that you do get, it is not as full as a foundation but greater than a tinted moisturiser.

Having used the BB cream back in the UK the first thing I noticed was that the longevity isn’t great, but by using a small amount of powder on top this sets it for the whole day.

If anyone read my latest skin care post I mentioned that my skin is in great condition at the moment. The packaging doesn’t claim that this will do wonders for your overall skin condition but considering I have been wearing it daily for just under a month I can’t help but think there may be a connection.

At £9.99 from Boots and Superdrug I initially thought this was a bit on the pricy side, but having used it, I love it and think it is worth the price. I am about a third of the way through so I hope that this will see me through to October. I don’t know if this will replace my love for mineral foundation but it is certainly a contender, which is surprising considering that I would never have thought to compare the two. So well done Garnier! I think it will be really interesting now to see what other companies come up to extend the BB cream selection.

If you have tried this let me know if it was love or hate relationship for you. Also if you have been sitting on the fence deciding whether or not to pick this up have I swayed you either way?

Share:

9 comments

  1. I saw a review of this on another blog and I don't see how only two shades can work for so many people. I've read (don't know if it's true) that in Korea/Japan that most skins are quite pale and that tanning is a no no so they don't need as many shades. I don't know how that would work in the UK with white, asian, black and so many skin tones in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume they are going to expand the colour selection at some stage but there are a lot of products out there that adapt to skin tone. I have no idea how they work though. That is an interesting point about Korea/Japan though I never thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think there's anyway you can find out how skintone adapting products work? It would make a very interesting read if it's something you reckon you could find out about? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for that suggestion BeautyGeek, that is a topic I have wondered about, so I will make it my first blog post in attempt to combine beauty and science!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ailie, I’m so sorry it took me so long to reply to this, I completely missed your comment. I don’t think that this cream is as good as a true mineral foundation but I feel like it is better for your skin than a foundation. I have to admit I haven’t looked into the ingredients much! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, just wanted to say your blog has swayed me somewhat! I usually use mineral foundation as its not bad for your skin but I can appear a little dry sometimes. I sent off for the garnier BB cream sample pack, I have tried it twice this week and find its gives beautiful coverage. My question is this, is it as kind on your skin as mineral foundation? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. If its not then surely just like a foundation?? Help! :)
    Many Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg!!tnx you really helped a lot!I waz at the store today and I couldnt decide weather to take the medium or light shade!..I am not light but I kind of have a naturally taned skin!...but they say that the lighter shade is a bit darker,so I guess it will suite me!!...I am gonna buy the light tomorow!!...oh and I never wore make up so this will be my first experiance!!,,tnx!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so glad you found the post helpful! Let me know how you get on with the cream, how exciting that it will be your first makeup experience! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, I have been debating about whether to get the BB Cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig