Saturday 2 February 2013

100-day spending ban update

So the first month of the 100-day spending ban is over!

So far I haven’t found the ban too much of a struggle and I’m actually enjoying using up the products I have. I’ve decided that, instead of doing monthly empties I am going to collect everything I have used up for one mass empties post in April!

I have three main tricks that I have used to make the ban easier. 

1. I’ve deleted all emails starting with sale, special offer, exclusive…..you get the idea. Sale time is generally the hardest for me, because that it when I usually stock up, so I hope that after this month my temptation will be limited. 

2. Avoided the shops. I haven’t stepped inside Boots or even travelled down the beauty aisle at the supermarket. If I don’t look I can’t be tempted. 

3. Stopped reading/watching haul posts. I know that when it comes to clothes there is a chance that I will think, ‘but that won’t be in the shops in April!’ So its best not to know what I am missing out on.  

The ban has been made slightly easier because, last month, I quit my job and started a college course. This means that I won’t have any income for a while and what money I have needs to be spent sensibly, plus classes full time, four days a week, and a minimum of two hours revision a night means that I am far too tired to shop!

Being on the ban has made me realise how much of an emotional spender I am, the days I’ve struggled have been when something at home or work as got me down. I never usually splash out much, but a lipstick or nail polish purchase would usually be my pick-me-up and a distraction from whatever is going on, so it has taken a lot of will power not to cave.

So now there are *only* 68 days to go, it will be interesting to see if I am as positive at the of February!

Share:

8 comments

  1. good job! I want to do this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BeautyRedefined By Pang2 February 2013 at 16:57

    Good luck and hope it all goes well. You did take some good measure to minimize or even cut out the spending. I'm a huge emotional spender myself and I don't think I can go cold turkey, lol, but I probably should put a cap on how much I spend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job so far! I know I am an emotional spender as well, so the 'precautions" you have taken are really smart. Good Luck with school

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avoiding the shops works a treat, the minute I had to go into town, I found myself wanting loads of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is the only way to get through it without going mad! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Tbh I still have brought things, just not the banned items, so I have treated myself to books but in general my overall spending is down. Hopefully I’ll be in good habits after the ban.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you :-) you should join in, there is a twitter chat that happens every Thursday too so that everyone can support each other through!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've managed to stick to a list of things I wanted to buy which was only a few bits from Haus of Gloi and Crazy Rumors. Oh and my mom is getting me some new scrub that Bath & Body Works have out....

    I've avoided Boots as Soap & Glory always have an offer and I want to get the Sugar Crush shower gel and body lotion that goes with the Sugar Crush scrub. *bangs head against desk*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig