Monday 20 May 2013

Nails of the week: Barry M Lychee and Striplac

Shockingly this is my first nail post of the year and for that you get me talking about two quite different polishes in one post as compensation.

 The first is one that I *borrowed* from my little sister, Barry M’s Hi Shine gell effect polish in the shade Lychee.
Lychee is a light nude shade and although I think this would be better suited for someone with a lighter skin tone than mine, it still works as an every day, subtle colour. The application is slightly tricky, you need two thin coats for the polish to be opaque and there is the potential for streaks because it begins to dry almost immediately.
At this point I've been wearing it for 4 days and I'm still chip free — Barry M are usually good for their wear time anyway but this is particularly impressive.

The gelly polishes cost £3.99, the same price as the regular range and can be found at Boots, Superdrug and online.

On my accent nail there is something different all together. If you follow me on Twitter you would have seen that last week I tweeted an image of Allesandro striplac.

Striplac is similar to Shellac, with two major differences. It is a home system and the polish can be peeled off.

At the event we all had the chance to apply the polish to one nail ourselves. The application was simple, a UV base and top coat was applied in between two layers of polish, curing the polish with a UV light in between each layer.
The polish lasts for up to 10 days at which point the polish is meant to peel at the edges and you can strip it off. I was told that because the polish is coming away from the nails there is no chance of doing damage but that if you tried to peel it off before this point then you could.

I have been wearing the polish for 9 days now and it has just started to come away at the edges.

Striplac comes as a kit including a UV-LED lamp, a red peel off polish, a UV/LED base and top coat, cleansing pads, 4-step file, cuticle pusher and instructions and costs £129. Additional shades of polish cost £15.99.

If you are someone who regularly gets Shellac or any other type of salon nails done you would very quickly get your moneys worth out of this system. It wouldn't be the best option for me but I would definitely choose this over regular Shellac when I next go away purely for how convenient it would be to peel the polish off rather than go back to the salon to remove it.

What's your view on peel off polish? Or will you be sticking to good old Barry M?
Share:

7 comments

  1. Hm Lynchee is a little darker than I like for my nudes personally, but still a lovely and rather unique nude shade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to try peel off for sure! All that remover really thins my nails. I've had good luck with Barry m too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pretty impressed by the striplac (the fact that it peels off) less hassle etc. I didn't get mine done at the event unfortunately which in hindsight I should have :) Only issue I have again is with the cost. I have the UV light etc and gel polishes already and never really use them as they are so time consuming. But if you have the time and patience then its a good investment.


    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. finding that perfect nude is tough, what’s your fav?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should definitely try it if you already have the kit! I don’t think takes that much longer than doing your nails with regular polish….or maybe I am especially slow at that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it did fall off actually I was impressed to see no damage to my nail. I try and limit remover to once a week because of that same problem. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, it really is! I'm always on the lookout for it. I tend to go for nudes with more pinky or mauvey tones but my favorite always changes. I'm wearing Zoya Sabrina right now and liking it a lot, though it's quite a bit pinker

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig