Sunday 3 July 2011

Sunday Night Thoughts - Fake Beauty

I read this article on fake beauty this week and was surprised at the definition of ‘fake'. So I wanted to pose that question to anyone with an opinion on the topic and ask what do you consider to be fake?

I personally have always thought of cosmetic surgery as being the definition, something that is a permanent and drastic change to your appearance. Just to be clear I have no objections with people getting cosmetic surgery, I am very much of a live and let live attitude. But I was surprised in the article to read on the list of ‘bold treatments’ that things like nail art were considered to be fake beauty. I understand that I wasn’t born with bright red/orange/purple etc nails but surely that doesn’t put me a category of ‘faking it’?

I have always thought makeup enhances beauty, as well as gives confidence. The article suggests the new faking it, is going by what we individually think looks good rather than actually trying to convince others that is what we really look like all the time. But surely this isn’t a bad thing? Or have I just been completely taken in by advertising and media and not seen that we are all thinking that it is ok to enhance  our hair, lashes, and nails on a daily basis and not see anything wrong with this.


What do you consider faking-it in terms of beauty?


Share:

5 comments

  1. Great thought-provoking post! You should do one of these every Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @skin deep blogger, that was my original plan a few months back, but the ideas weren’t consistent, will try and think of ideas though!

    @claire, I agree with you, in that case I am faking it daily, but I don’t care! I don’t need makeup to feel confident but it helps. I guess we do have a different way of looking at ‘faking’ beauty now than the general consensus a few years ago

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless you are walking around in your natural state all the time then everything we do is fake down to using deodorant, washing our hair, and the rest.

    This 'fake' beauty that the article speaks of isn't anything new. The Greeks and Romans used 'enhancements' as has every age of humanity. I think the only difference now is that women dress for themselves a lot more than dressing to attract a man. Like the article says men generally like a more natural looking woman rather than an over the top one.

    You can tell a lot of women nowadays dress for other women and I don't mean in a sexual way. Only other women will notice what shoes someone has on, or a new lipstick. A women can tell the difference between 6 different red lipsticks, most men won't! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. @skin scrubs it’s interesting you mention about men, because i remember watching a youtube video with Lisa Eldridge and she was saying how she did a look on a woman and the men commented that they wanted it natural and less makeup. She redid it, there was still a lot of makeup involved but it wasn’t bright and obvious, just enhancing the beauty, and they loved that! perfect example of 'what do men know!'

    I totally agree we women do it for ourselves now (although I have never been able to convince a man of that!)

    I’m really glad for all the comments the more I think about it the more I change my mind. I wonder if it could be a case of the word ‘fake’ always being associated negatively, and it just doesn’t apply in the same way in this case

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is pretty crazy. Nail art? WOw.
    I think that being "fake" is trying to be someone you are not. And sure, foundation gives you flawless skin, and bronzers give you a more defined face. But I don't really think of it as being fake. I think it is more of creating an illusion. I would saying "faking" is when, like you said, yo do something permanent. Maybe like dying your hair, surgery, or other things like that. Most women wear some form of makeup, so does that mean we are all "fake"?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to get your opinions and I do my best to reply to all x

© Discovering Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig